Tuesday, August 16, 2011

When Soundtracks Attack : Pirate Radio Soundtrack

Oh, hello, didn't see you there. You're a sneaky little bugger aren't you? Is what a hot British man would say upon finding an unexpected person creeping up behind him. Despite my surprise, I welcome your presence, and want to dose you with a little bitty album review.

 I'd like to discuss a good soundtrack for those of you who like old music but aren't quite ready to indulge in B-side oldies as of yet. Take an intrigued yet cautious gander at the Pirate Radio Soundtrack. It's chock-full of the oldies you know and love, the hits of the 1960's.




Pirate Radio's double disc set kicks off with a cover of Lorraine Ellison's 1966 hit "Stay With Me (Baby)" an achingly sweet beg-a-thon of a song (I mean this in the most positive way) that Duffy's one of a kind voice oozes around  like a comfortable burst of cold water to soothe an aching wound.  Duffy's rendering is perfectly executed and properly honors the original with a strike that manages to add another dimension to Ellison's cathartic piece. While not seamlessly, it fit in very well with the authentic oldies on the album. Duffy's emotive treat gives way to some of the most emotional, well-written and composed songs of a different time, when music was more organic, voices clear and unaltered.

Take The Kinks' "All Day" for starters, you forget its constant brandishing in the media and pop culture and enjoy the song in its entirety for the actual quality of the production, the effect of the lyrics' repetition, the unique sound of Ray Davies' voice. The same can be said of The Beach Boys' ever ever present in films' opening credits classic "Wouldn't it Be Nice" which is a really amazing song when one takes the time to sit and really listen to the composition and the clear timbre of Brian Wilson's voice sliding over the melodic harmonies for which the Beach Boys are so well known. I smell a run-on, and it smells good so let's go with it.

The album contains many classic soul favorites of the late mid to late 1960's, such as Smoky Robinson's "Ooo Baby Baby". Smoky Robinson, that was a voice, right? Turn that song on and tell me that wasn't A  VOICE? No autotune, nowhere near (if any) as much of the studio polishing that smooths out the kinks in the voices of many of today's most famous singers.

Otis Redding's "These Arms of Mine"? Just slide me a mattress now because I'm about to hit the floor with adoration for Otis' voice. Pure emotion, the perfect rasp born straight from the flesh of his vocal cords and not urged on by the press of a button or the turning of a dial.  Do you get what I'm saying? These people could sing. They had talent. Their TALENT catapulted them into the limelight, not a gross amount of nepotism, not an exterior superiority, not a quota system put in place for the benefit of advertisers. I'm going on a tangent. That never happens here at Prosepunk.

While this album was making me fall in love with many quality yet overplayed songs of the past, it was also introducing me to songs that I never would have considered listening to, such as Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass' "This Guy's in Love With You". Expert. Phenomenal. Evocative. Grand. Dramatic. That enough adjectives for you? It better be because that's all you're getting and dammit that's plenty!

The album also re-introduced me to some of my old favorites, such as Cream's "I Feel Free" and Hendrix's "The Wind Cries Mary". Delicious.

This is a must have soundtrack, I learned how much I love the oldies and reawakened my appreciation for the style and realness in every note produced.

Music is a learning experience. Even someone like me who knows anything anyone should ever even WANT to know about music, stuff that would make people think I'm crazy or know a little TOO much, learn so much everyday! Such as in this case when watching the film "Pirate Radio" (it was just aiiiiiight) caused me to check out the soundtrack. And by gosh I'm glad I did!

Officer, I was attacked. By a soundtrack.


Pirate Radio Track List!!!

Disc: 1

1. Stay With Me Baby-Duffy

2. All Day-The Kinks

3. Elenore-The Turtles

4. Judy In Disguise-John Fred And Playboys

5. Dancing-Martha Reeves

6. Wouldn't It Be Nice-Beach Boys

7. Ooh Baby Baby-Smokey Robinson & The Miracles

8. This Guys In Love-Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass

9. Hi Ho Silver Lining-Jeff Beck

10. I Can See For Miles-The Who

11. With A Girl Like You-The Troggs

12. I'm Alive-The Hollies

13. Yesterday Man-Chris Andrews

14. I've Been A Bad Bad Boy-Paul Jones

15. Silence Is Golden-Tremeloes



Disc: 2

1. Friday On My Mind-Easybeats

2. My Generation-The Who

3. I Feel Free-Cream

4. Wind Cries Mary-Jimi Hendrix

5. A Whiter Shade Of Pale-Procol Harum

6. These Arms Of Mine-Otis Redding

7. The Happening- Supremes

8. Cleo's Mood - Junior Walker & The All Stars

9. She'd Rather Be With Me-The Turtles

10. 98.6-The Bystanders

11. Sunny Afternoon-Kinks

12. Father And Son-Cat Stevens

13. Nights In White Satin-Moody Blues

14. You Don't Have To Say You Love Me-Dusty Springfield

15. Stay With Me-Lorraine Ellison

16. This Old Heart Of Mine-The Isley Brothers

17. Let's Dance-David Bowie

No comments:

Post a Comment