Friday, September 17, 2010

Anger on the 'net

So I'm a pretty even tempered girl, at least that's what people never tell me, but today I lost my well tempered cool.

I went to a website which I will not name so that it doesn't get any traffic (like I need to worry about that because no one will even ever read this :)) But anyway I went to this website and there was a post about the BEAUTIFUL Naomi Campbell, and the site owner said something moderately racist which I let slide because that's this guy's MO, but then someone comments underneath "Someone, bring this monkey back to the zoo."

WTF? I don't understand how people can be so mean and insensitive. Racism is so played out and ignorant. I can find about a million reasons to hate someone and believe me none of them ever involve some one's skin color because that stuff does not matter, nor does it have anything to do with the content of a person's character.

I wonder when the day will come where I don't have to be insulted by association. Whenever there's a picture of black person, famous or not, on a website that is not predominately black one must be prepared to read the ignorant comments made by the backwoods shack-dwellers of the world. It's tiring.

What's more, I can't help but comment. So I left an expletive filled comment below the racist one, though what use is it? There is no use because for my words to have any effect they have to be read and interpreted and retained by a rational and intelligent human being, two words that fail to describe ANYONE who's prejudiced.

I wish that we could focus on the important stuff like all these zany wars and human trafficking and ending pollution. I wish I didn't have to worry about seeing the word "NIGGER" emblazoned across the ad-laden pages of a website frequented by bored neanderthals, I wish I could smack the racists and show them the light.

Alas, that will never happen, so I guess I have to continue being a strong beautiful black woman who gets her value and worth from within herself, because I learn more and more everyday that I can't expect to get any real genuine consistent appreciation from anywhere else:(

"Boohoo!!" Right? "Stop crying" right? Is that what you're thinking? Well you know what I say to you? You're right. I'm gonna stop crying because there's no use. I have to be happy and ignore all the horrible aspects of the world because focusing on the good is so much better. Now let's take a moment to think of all the people who surround us--the people that are of different cultural backgrounds and religions etc. Think of them and appreciate them, or hate them because of their perceived character flaws-- because they are people with feelings and goals and hopes and dreams and loved ones and bad habits and murderous intentions--all of this exists independent of their melanin or lack thereof. Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment