Thursday, September 23, 2010

T-shirt Mind Control: Sneaker Pimps


I can't believe I haven't made a music post yet!!! Hooray for music! And in particular, the Sneaker Pimps!! If you've never had the pleasure of listening to them, and if you're into acts like Portishead or Massive Attack you may just like to take a sip of Sneaker Pimps for they are a delicious treat for any trip-hop fan, or music fan for that matter.

The Sneaker Pimps were formed in '94 in Hartlepool, England by Chris Corner and Liam Howe. Their first album Becoming X was recorded with vocals done by Kelli Dayton, but on follow up albums like Bloodsport (the album that introduced them to me) lead vocals were done by Chris Corner himself.

^^That's all the technical stuff, but here's what I want to say from the heart...As a writer, I use music a lot for inspiration. My tastes run far and wide but there are a few staples in my repertoire, a few artists that I cannot do without, and the Sneaker Pimps have more than earned a spot in my "music to write to" library. Haunting could describe their work, harsh, unique, bass heavy, beat heavy...emotional, spine tingling, damn good....but I don't want to just blurt out adjectives, even though I just did!!

With that said, I want to tell anyone who'll listen to go pick up  their 2002 album Bloodsport, as it is the most readily available of all their work, and listen to it all the way through. Infectious beats and excellent production and tone will force you to seek out the maxi-single Spin-Spin Sugar which contains 4 songs ("Spin Spin Sugar"-2 versions, "Walk the Rain"--amazing  bass line will make you wiggle in auditory ecstasy, "How Do"--haunting) that will leave you wishing you could find their other albums--it is possible that their early stuff can be found through Amazon or the like, but the avenues I use (Zune pass) only offer Bloodsport and Spin-Spin Sugar for download.

The Sneaker Pimps have pretty much disbanded, with Chris Corner and Kelli Dayton moving on to solo projects that I'm in the process of checking out...but my main mission here today with the mildly creative photographs of me wearing a crudely made shirt is to control your mind so you buy/download  Bloodsport and listen to the song "Loretta Young Silks". This album shines with multiple musical gems, but every time I hear that song I want to stop whatever I'm doing and glide around  my house lost in the sounds assaulting my elevated consciousness. I think the Sneaker Pimps are way too underground, too enshrouded in a darkness that their amazing music will permeate if we all know to check them out, especially since many of you have probably heard their stuff without knowing it was them. My T-shirt hopes to bring them to the light. Come to me, readers, and let my T-shirt mind control open your brain and lead it to new avenues of musical brilliance. I promise you won't regret it. Oh, and any Brits reading this can disregard this entire post, for I am sure you are already hip to them.

Sneaker Pimps Discography:

Becoming X- 1996
Becoming Remixed-1998
Splinter - 1999
Bloodsport - 2002
SP4- never released, but some of the work can be found on Chris Corner's project IAMX

You can find out more, here.

PeacyWeacy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment